The first DJ who Shilpa rocked out to was her dad. As her father’s faithful roadie, twelve-year-old Shilpa found herself working gigs every weekend and quickly falling in love with the craft. Forgoing Barbie dolls and instead of playing with two scratched-up hand-me-down turntables, Shilpa turned her bedroom into a DJ booth and taught herself how to spin.
Growing up playing and writing music, she naturally killed it at NYC’s Dubspot DJ School and is an Ableton Live Certified Producer. Her sincere ambition and dedication to her work give her a huge edge in the industry; Shilpa is a trained voice-over artist, making her MC work miles ahead of the pack.
With 15 years of experience and an impressive portfolio, DJ Shilpa has earned her place as one of the most in-demand DJs in the South Asian Wedding Industry. She has been showcased as a featured vendor on Platinum Weddings and Maharani Weddings and traveled internationally to perform. She is far from predictable and can kick it with any genre of music, effortlessly mixing even Bollywood with old-school hip hop. You can dance to DJ Shilpa’s seamless transitions, unique mixes, and irresistible energy in the hottest clubs in NYC and NJ including Ph.D. Terrace Midtown, Bodega Negra, The W Times Square, and Magic Hour.
In this episode of the Creator Mindset Podcast
- How DJ Shilpa and I met.
- When and how DJ Shilpa started her DJing.
- The success of DJ Shilpa when she started DJing full-time in 2010.
- Different types of weddings that DJ Shilpa handles.
- The most memorable weddings that she witnessed during her DJing.
- The reasons why DJ Shilpa chose DJing over her degree in finance.
- Her advice to those people who are interested in starting DJing.
- How she coped up during the COVID19 pandemic.
- If you’re finding yourself intrigued, reach out to the internet, ask other friends that are in the business to help you learn.
- With anything in life, sometimes you just come to this crossroads where you have to make a decision.
- The whole point of a wedding is to have an itinerary for the flow of events. Once you developed a nice itinerary with the structure and the flow of how the day is going to be, everything will go smoothly.
- If you have the opportunity to make that sort of a move, just do it. Because you don’t want to be looking back at your life.
- A piece of advice for any entrepreneur is you have to save for a rainy day.
Connecting with DJ Shilpa:
Connect with Ariane: